No, that’s not carrot! It’s sweet potato!!
A special treat today my iFriends!! I’m actually giving a recipe. A recipe I recently learned from Nan. See? I’m spoiled rotten with them here. But never fear – I’m learning so much while she’s here. I WILL COOK!!!
As mentioned the other day, there are a lot of dietary restrictions we’re accounting for with the in-laws in town. Mine, unfortunately, is probably the most challenging, because there aren’t many substitutes for nightshade vegetables.
Example: There’s no substitute for tomato. Nada, zip, zilch, zero. However, you can substitute potato for sweet potato. SWEET POTATO IS NOT IN THE NIGHTSHADE VEGETABLE CATEGORY!! Yay! 🙂 So, I can fulfill my hearts desire of sweet potato fries and well, baked sweet potato. That’s about it.
But wait! Nan is in town!! She introduced me to my new summer favorite – the Sweet Potato Salad. For years I’ve opted out of potato salad. Why? Well, store bought is just awful; BLEK and I just was never a fan. Bless her little chef heart (and my desire to try new foods)!!
SO, I give you…
Recipe: Sweet Potato Salad
- 1/2 Sweet Potato – cleaned and chopped
- 1 cup of Vegenaise Mayo (if you haven’t switched to this product, its the best!! Recommend by Dr. Oz and Ellen, its real mayonnaise taste without egg! I’m a mayo freak and its healthier, less calories, and tastes better than mayo.)
- 2 dill pickles, diced
- 1/4 cup dill pickle juice
- Clean your sweet potato. Chop it in half and use only 1/2 of it.
- Dice that sweet potato half into chunks and boil until its tender. About 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix your vegenaise mayo, dill pickles, and pickle juice.
- Drain your sweet potatoes and mix with your dressing.
- Serve immediately.
Ta Da! That’s it. EASY PEASEY!! Something so easy, so delicious, and homemade. Add spinach, lettuce, cucumber and make it a true salad! YUM!
Nan’s a genius. Now I wonder if there is a recipe out there for sweet potato tater tots. I’ll definitely have to ask her!
What substitute recipe is your favorite?