EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Can you feel the excitement I have for this week’s Kitchen Challenge? If not, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
With the majority of the vote – 40% – GREEK YOGURT WON!! Thanks to all who voted. You made my week! How? Well, because you picked an ingredient that I was dying to re-try again and the recipe I’d been eyeing, hoping and praying for all week!! SO THANK YOU!!
The recipe is: Jalapeño Cheddar Muffins. Are you drooling yet? I haven’t stopped! They are so delectable and TASTY!! I actually found this recipe from Yvonne Luu – Trials in Food who commented on my last Kitchen Challenge entry. I checked out her blog, signed up for a subscription, and BAM an email came in for these tasty treats. I cannot recommend highly enough how much I enjoyed these. Oh ya, it was a winner for Mr. P too!!
I didn’t change this recipe much, just added in some “healthier” ingredients, which I’ve mentioned.
- 1 cup of flour (I used whole wheat!)
- 1/2 TBSP baking powder
- 1/4 TSP baking soda (TSSSSSSSSSPPPP!!)
- 1/2 TBSP white sugar
- 1/4 TSP salt (TSSSSSSSSSPPPP!!)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I used 2 and a quarter cups of sharp cheddar!)
- 1/2 TBSP finely mined onions (I used my onion powder/garlic powder mix)
- 1/2 cup yogurt or 1/2 cup sour cream (Here’s where I added the vote – GREEK YOGURT!)
- 1/8 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 3 TBSP finely chopped jalapeño peppers (I used 1 fresh six inch jalepeno pepper and go seedless if you don’t want it too spicy!)
- ADDED: 2 splashes of organic fat-free milk
1. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
Here’s a picture of the whole wheat flour I use. I LOVE THIS STUFF!! I found it at Wal-Mart. Yes, I did say the W word. Our local Wal-Mart competes against our local Whole Foods, so we can find a lot of great, wholesome ingredients, for CHEAP!! This flour is the best!! Not only is it heart healthy (hi cute heart!), but not processed, and its got more of the great nutrients your body needs. Oh ya, your body can process it better!
And no, I didn’t sift any of the dry ingredients together.
2. Add cheese and onion, then mix with a fork.
3. Add greek yogurt, melted butter, eggs, and jalapeño to the dry mix and whisk. HAND stir until evenly moistened. Add your splashes of milk as needed. I used two.
This is where your pick came into play. Doesn’t it look so good next to those other fresh ingredients – without all of the fat of regular sour cream. Bonus -extra protein!!
If you do not have a standard whisk, like this:
JUST ONE and whisk away. It worked brilliantly for me. Just don’t use the power portion. It will make them too liquid-y
4. Bake in lined muffin cups at 400 F for 15 minutes.
As you can see I used my cupcake muffin tin, got 10 muffins and thought they were the perfect serving size and stayed moist! If you do not use/have lined muffin cups – be sure to grease the ‘cups’. I used spray organic olive oil.
TA DA: ALL DONE!!
5. Eat on its own or with cream cheese.
These muffins compliment soup or a salad. I’ve done both and again, I highly recommend it.
Now, after reviewing this recipe, I realized their weren’t many ingredients to choose from for the remix; so, I did a second recipe. I got the next recipe idea from a recent pin from Pinterest and it led back to a blog called A Turtle’s Life for Me.
The recipe….Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. GENIUS!! SUPER SIMPLE. Instead of just a plain, old, boring grilled cheese sandwich, add whatever you want in the middle! I added avocado and mushrooms with mozzarella.
Now, I’m a visual learner, so I took pictures as I went along. Plus, I had a lot of fun with my iPhone camera.
- Spread some butter on a slice of bread and put it butter-side down on a skillet over medium heat.
- Next sprinkle fresh mozzarella (slices and any type of cheese work too!)
- Then add thick slices of avocado (and anything else inside!) to cover the whole sandwich and then another slice of buttered-bread.
- When you’re ready, flip it! Be careful…avocado can be slippery!
QUICK, FAST, and WHOLESOME!! My kind of meal when I’m 2 weeks past my Remicade Day. I recommend it if you’re in a pinch and have no idea what to cook. Do you have go-to recipes you visit when you’re in pain, flaring, or just damn lazy?
Have questions? Honestly…if you need help or have questions or want to ask me whatever, please do. You can email me at email@example.com and I will try to help you in any way I can!
Now, your turn! Pick for my remix!
Which recipe did you like? Have you ever remixed a grilled cheese sandwich? Ever try a muffin that wasn’t sweet, but more spicy and savory? Let me know!
If you’re a newbie here, welcome!